Skip to main content

The "Art" of Commercializing Art, by guest blogger, David O'Shea

VerlinStudios "Winters Warmth" 15 oz ceramic mug with chocolates, $30



"The decision to "put" our photography on mugs, coasters, cell phone cases--everyday items we use wasn't easy".

--John D. Verlin, owner, VerlinStudios






"Mr. Da Vinci--would you mind if we painted that image of Mona Lisa on the side of our wagon? We think it will be a great draw to our wagon business."

The idea of commercializing art didn't start with Andy Warhol--but it sure popularized it. 

Most photographers, artists, musicians, etc cringe at the idea of their "art" being used for commercial gains.

The marriage of art, advertising, marketing and merchandising isn't new--but the likes of Walt Disney and others understood it's power and "sales ability".

Just ask Pixor and the Toy Story folks. 

Of course, I remember in my grade school days getting lunch boxes with The Beatles (very rare--still in demand on auction blocks), The Munsters, Beverly Hillbillies, Man From UNCLE, etc.--all merchandised franchises that created in some cases--more revenue than the actual film, tv show, etc.

Just look at the estates of Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean--making more money today than when they were alive via merchandising.

I recently sat down with John Verlin--former radio sales guy turned ad agency guy--photographer hobbyist turned online photography studio guy--to ask him about putting his photography on everyday products--and his take on that (just like yesterday's lunch boxes and t-shirts).

David: John, it seems like you have a nice selection of photographs--running the gamut from animals, landscapes, tropical, mountains, etc.

John: Yes...many of them are photographs I took ten years ago in the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, etc. As recent as this past month in Jamaica--and over the past four years as I raised a couple of rag doll kittens.

David: So, when did you come up with this idea of "marrying" your photo works with cell phone cases, mugs, rugs, etc?

John: It's kind of like "necessity" is the mother of invention. I originally opened an Etsy shop--and like most artists were looking for ways to market and sell my photographs. Problem was--they weren't selling. I began to notice various websites offering products to put your photographs on everyday products--just as some big box retailers offered.  With photographic software, high quality printers and online capabilities--it made me realize that i can merchandise my own work and offer as a bonus, 8x10 prints of my work all via online elements. Technology and the internet have created an entrepreneurial opportunity. 

David: So, you jumped on it.

John: Well--it kind of evolved. First--I had this beautiful printer that was sitting there. I wanted to make use of it--but if prints weren't selling--what do you do? That's when I thought I could offer them  to customers as "added value" and sell them products they use everyday with my works on it. That's when I came up with the name "artisan photo gifts". It kind of described what I did. 

David: So, the everyday cell phone case that I might buy to protect my phone--which usually was black, or polka dot or whatever--I now could buy with a beautiful flowing stream from the Grand Tetons on it?

John: Precisely. Or gorgeous canvas wall art with twelve pictures of tropical landscapes from Jamaica. And of course, I would offer the 8x10 prints, signed and numbered, printed by me personally.


John Verlin with "Tranquil Palm" signed/numbered for a customer.

David: So really--this isn't terribly new--you can buy those items in gift shops, artsy studios, etc.?

John: Correct. But my photographs you CAN'T buy anywhere but from my Etsy shop. That's the big difference. That's what art is all about. It's the artists "look", technique, style that make them desirable. I call it the "wow" factor. It's the "thing' that makes you want something--be it a painting, song, image, video, etc.

David: What do you enjoy most about this idea, concept and process?



John: Really--everything. As a photographer--you don't necessarily go out and say, "oh--today, I think I'll get a picture of a bison grazing ten feet away from me". Or, "great day to wait for a monarch butterfly to land on a flower in a pond". 


You take advantage of that situation and opportunity with diligence and preparedness. If you're lucky-you'll get one usable print that people will enjoy. But the rest of starting the business, marketing, advertising, order fulfillment--that's all part of the journey towards success.

David: So the idea of the "artist selling out to commercial interests" doesn't bother you?

John: I'm kind of flipping that idea on it's head. With todays economy--an artist can't just go out, rent a gallery, have a showing, advertise it, etc and expect to survive. I'm basically creating the product, creating the market and utilizing today's technology to create and run a business. Most "merchandised" products or endorsements occur after the person is famous--think Tiger Woods and Nike. I'm an unknown seeking to become known. So I'm doing the opposite--merchandising and commercializing my work--BEFORE becoming famous or well-known. I see it not as some ego thing but a "survivor" tool for any artist. I'm not at all shy about it. It's a business model utilizing my skills, new technologies and the internet.

David: And you're taking everyday products that all of us use and making them "look" better, so to speak.

John: Not only look better--but something you would enjoy using everyday. If you love a certain photograph or painting--let's say it's on your wall in your office. You or your friends rarely see it. Wouldn't it be cool if you had it on a coffee mug that you get to enjoy everyday?


The popular "Winters Warmth" 15 oz ceramic VerlinStudios coffee mug


David: So it's your work on a customers mug, rug, pillow etc--and you give them a free 8x10 signed and numbered print as a bonus "added value" to enjoy on the wall in their home or office?

Photographer, Johanna Bonavia's "Winter Song" sign/numbered VerlinStudio print

John: Exactly. You can buy that $30 mug at a retail store that has images of someone else's kids, wacky designs or silly sayings. Matter of fact--they'll make them with your own prints. But wouldn't it be nice to have an "artistic" option? Again--something you can't get anywhere else. Thats' what I like most about this idea.

David: Something unique or different for my home, office--a customer gift? I like it. Particularly if I have two left thumbs when it comes to photography.

John: Well, hopefully others will like it to. We also created on our site--VerlinStudios Artisan Photographs & Sentiments-for guys like you--where we'll edit, enhance enlarge/print your photo's to give them that "artists" flavor. It's funny--I think about Walt Disney and how he and Ub Iwerks (here in Kansas City) created a character, Mortimer Mouse--a filmstrip and got distribution. Then a New York guy took profits from that character and Walt vowed to never let that happen again. then came Mickey Mouse and he merchandised the heck out of it. Year's later--even today at Walt Disney World--theres a bronze statue of Walt holding Mickey Mouse's hand with the inscription: "Remember--it all started with a mouse". Now David--it's time for me to have a cup of hot cocoa and marshmallows in my 15 oz. VerlinStudio's Winters Warmth mug. If you'll excuse me...


David: And with VerlinStudios--it all started with a mug! John...you're a shameless "hissy"...

John: David--I believe that's "hussy". Wasn't that a word used in the '20s or '30s--about the time of Dillenger?

David: Oh, I meant to ask you about that Dillenger placemat you have...

John: That's quite a story--we'll talk about that in another blogpost...

Dillenger is Slain placemat--part of the VerlinStudios Vintage 1930s Collection.


If you'd like to see John's VerlinStudio's products, please visit:

To learn more about his ad agency, visit:







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting New Customers--Dean Blay, Mr. Remodeler

  "John...the ad ain't drawin' flies..." Dean...what happened this time last year? "The ad didn't draw flies.." Then what happened the following month? "Well...we did get more sales..." For over twelve years I worked with one of Kansas City's best-loved home remodelers', Mr. Remodeler, Dean Blay. Dean had voiced his own radio ads on our classical station, a music of your life station and several newstalk stations. Sadly--his voice was silenced this past July due to his death. But Dean Blays' memory and radio ads will long be remembered. Dean had a deep...slow delivery and country accent when he read his radio ads. When I first started to work with his advertising--he would give us a cassette tape from his Phone Mate machine with his ad on it. He was too nervous to record in our studio! When he finally did come to our production room, we turned on the reel tape recorder and left the room so our engineer wouldn't mak

Have Marketers Put Too Much Emphasis on The Benefits of Social Media?

Is it me...or I'm I confused as to how a business that predominantly caters to 15-30 year olds can be worth $13 billion? That's one suggested valuation of Twitter heading in to their IPO. What's more--as they begin to add advertising popping up on their Tweets and Tweeters--how can I, as a potential investor know what kind of revenue they can produce to justify their valuation? What's more--what kind of sales can I expect from that age demographic?  Granted, that age demographic probably Tweets more than the rest of us--but can the advertising investment be justified considering their disposable income? If I sell cars to the 18-34 year old crowd--are they really going to Tweet their best friend at the moment the test drive ends and ask if they should buy it or not (according to one posts' theory)? Surely, we all want advice from our friends in the purchase of certain items--but have marketers over-emphasized the benefits of using social media

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting More Customers--Dick Ray, The Master Plumber

"In order to do it right--you'd have to get a backhoe and dig up a ten foot section of the front yard...remove the pipe and replace it with a new section. Or...you could hire a guy like me to do it. And I'm not cheap..."  I'd come to know Dick Ray Jr. through handling his father's advertising account on our classical radio station back in the 80's. Owners of Shawnee Mission Plumbing, Heating & Cooling since the 50's--their quality service and reputation are unmatched by many competitors in the Kansas City market. Today, Dick Ray Jr. continues that quality since his parents passing years ago. What distinguished their advertising--was the familiar voice that intro'd all of their ads...."This is Dick Ray the master plumber..." In a casual midwestern drawl , he'd meticulously talk about his time in the Navy, the quality of products they carry--and the fact that nobody...BUT NOBODY has more parts on his truck, than Di