Skip to main content

I've Got Some Old Photo's I'd Like To Show You

Winter Song--Original Photo by Johanna Bonavia
https://www.etsy.com/listing/174140872/sentimental-portraits-beauty-is-all?ref=shop_home_active

I had no idea when I decided to open an Etsy shop, VerlinStudios, that it would attract friends, relatives, fellow Etsyionites (?), etc.

It seemed like a good idea to offer to the online world photographs that I've taken (as it's always been a hobby of mine) over the years of rare, special, even unique moments. 

Many of these friends have said I should put them in a book, sell, offer, etc. So that's what I decided to do.

After posting a number of photo's from Yellowstone from a trip I made in '07--I had a number of people say, "hey--I've got some photo's that I took blah, blah, blah..."

Another had just bought an expensive camera and wanted to wait to get pics with it before posting them for sale in the shop.

Actually--the art of good photography doesn't rely on the camera as much as the opportunity and the photographer (more on this in another post). I see it as "visual poetry".

As I began establishing key search words for Etsy--I decided to take a chance and buy an expensive printer--designed to print "professional" quality photo's up to 12x16". It's rare to find a "large" photograph in a home--unless it's poster-sized or an expensive portrait.

For most everyday art/photography lovers--the smaller sizes do well for offices, study, bedroom, etc.

And then I noticed one photograph that my girlfriend told me about. It was an icy setting from a cemetery near her home--taken years ago.

I kept thinking--yeah, an ice storm picture--right. But there was something "ethereal" and peaceful about it.

Since it was in a 5x7 print format--I had to "take a picture" of it--and turn it into a digital photograph.

Along with the professional printer--I use Adobe Photoshop elements software for photo editing. As I applied certain layers on this photo--the contrast between the trees and snow/ice intensified and a blue hue formed near an ice layer.

It began to pop--and I thought, wow--interesting effect!

I posted it in the shop and within a few days--a number of Etsy folks began to favorite it or add it to their treasuries/shops.

I then began marketing on Facebook--and within days--it was the number one "like" of over 60 photos!

I named it Winter Song--as I felt that title captured the essence of the beauty of winter.

As of this date--it continues to be one of the most popular prints that I sell and have asked Johanna for any more prints she just might have laying around!

Stay tuned--in the near future--I just may have a Fan Photo Contest for you to submit your favorite photo shot.

Just goes to show you--you don't have to have fancy equipment to create a beautiful work of art. I remember watching Chaos and Creation at Abbey Road--a PBS special with Paul McCartney.

He was talking about when the Beatles recorded at Abbey Road--right up to Sgt. Pepper. They only had a four-track reel-reel tape recorder (today, there are 42 track boards).

He described the recording--then overdubbing onto another track, etc. He said that some people didn't like the "loss of quality" that overdubbing back then produced.

For every track you layered on another (mixed)--you might lose a little fidelity. But he said that they liked that "loss of quality".

That effect helped create their unique sound--just as in photography--taking a picture of a picture can create that same loss of quality (as in Winter Song)--but that loss takes on it's own artistic value.

More on all of this in my next post--including photographic techniques that Walt Disney used in his early classics for "effect".

Look at all our prints/services at www.etsy.com/shop/VerlinStudios and let me know what you think!

Also--if you have a business--and would like some great marketing/advertising tips/ideas--CLICK HERE and get my FREE monthly Marketing & Business Update e-Newsletter.

If you like this post--please follow me and share with your friends!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting New Customers--Dean Blay, Mr. Remodeler

  "John...the ad ain't drawin' flies..." Dean...what happened this time last year? "The ad didn't draw flies.." Then what happened the following month? "Well...we did get more sales..." For over twelve years I worked with one of Kansas City's best-loved home remodelers', Mr. Remodeler, Dean Blay. Dean had voiced his own radio ads on our classical station, a music of your life station and several newstalk stations. Sadly--his voice was silenced this past July due to his death. But Dean Blays' memory and radio ads will long be remembered. Dean had a deep...slow delivery and country accent when he read his radio ads. When I first started to work with his advertising--he would give us a cassette tape from his Phone Mate machine with his ad on it. He was too nervous to record in our studio! When he finally did come to our production room, we turned on the reel tape recorder and left the room so our engineer wouldn't mak

Have Marketers Put Too Much Emphasis on The Benefits of Social Media?

Is it me...or I'm I confused as to how a business that predominantly caters to 15-30 year olds can be worth $13 billion? That's one suggested valuation of Twitter heading in to their IPO. What's more--as they begin to add advertising popping up on their Tweets and Tweeters--how can I, as a potential investor know what kind of revenue they can produce to justify their valuation? What's more--what kind of sales can I expect from that age demographic?  Granted, that age demographic probably Tweets more than the rest of us--but can the advertising investment be justified considering their disposable income? If I sell cars to the 18-34 year old crowd--are they really going to Tweet their best friend at the moment the test drive ends and ask if they should buy it or not (according to one posts' theory)? Surely, we all want advice from our friends in the purchase of certain items--but have marketers over-emphasized the benefits of using social media

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting More Customers--Dick Ray, The Master Plumber

"In order to do it right--you'd have to get a backhoe and dig up a ten foot section of the front yard...remove the pipe and replace it with a new section. Or...you could hire a guy like me to do it. And I'm not cheap..."  I'd come to know Dick Ray Jr. through handling his father's advertising account on our classical radio station back in the 80's. Owners of Shawnee Mission Plumbing, Heating & Cooling since the 50's--their quality service and reputation are unmatched by many competitors in the Kansas City market. Today, Dick Ray Jr. continues that quality since his parents passing years ago. What distinguished their advertising--was the familiar voice that intro'd all of their ads...."This is Dick Ray the master plumber..." In a casual midwestern drawl , he'd meticulously talk about his time in the Navy, the quality of products they carry--and the fact that nobody...BUT NOBODY has more parts on his truck, than Di