Skip to main content

How This Picture Almost Cost Me My Life



"Sir," he said. "I suggest you back away from that animal very slowly. He could charge at any minute...!" (gulp)






Ok...I'm not one to shy away from a challenge.  But in September, 2007--I reconsidered what my life was worth in exchange for a photograph. Specifically a dining bison at Yellowstone.

Having spent a half day of seeing the sites in Yellowstone in the Fall of 2007--my friend and I stopped halfway north near the Roosevelt Arch at a rangers station.

We had noticed a small herd of buffalo grazing nearby. Heck--buffalo wander around Yellowstone all the time. One even came right up to the passenger side of our car looking in at us (I snapped a pic of it--but it's pretty blurred. Wonder why!)

A few days earlier--we stopped by a roadside picnic table having lunch. I was facing the woodland area behind our table--keeping an eye out for bears, deer, elk--whatever. Suddenly--my friend said, "Shhhh....gradually look behind you!"

I slowly turned around and saw a huge buffalo meandering down the road about twenty feet away. We didn't make a sound and prayed that it would keep on walking.

These are magnificent animals and when they're up close and personal--you feel very vulnerable because of their size and power.

As we came out of the ranger station--seeing the history of Yellowstone, artifacts, etc--we began to go through the small parking lot to our car.

I caught something out of my right peripheral vision. As I turned--we saw a small buffalo feeding in the grass.

My first instinct was--oh, that's cool. Get a picture. Yellowstone policy is to stay thirty feet from area wildlife. At that time--it didn't cross my mind.

I walked slowly up--camera at the ready, and began taking pictures of this animal.

After I took five or six pictures--i realized how close I was. Maybe twelve feet from this object of my lens--when suddenly I heard the voice of a man in the parking lot.

"Sir", he said. "I suggest that you slowly back up and get away. That animal could charge at any minute...".

My first thought was...yeah--whatever. After I got in the car though--my friend said, "you know--that guy was right".

It suddenly hit me how stupid I had been! This wasn't taking a picture of a prairie chicken!

I could have spooked that buffalo and it COULD have charged.

I've had this photo for many years now and never really thought much about it--until posting it on my Etsy site: (www.etsy.com/shop/VerlinStudios.)

Within a few days I had several people "like" and "favorite" it.

Then I realized how unique a pic it was. How many times has someone gotten a picture that close to a   buffalo?

I had taken some earlier (see pics on site) of buffalo grazing in the distance--but then one you can tell his very close.

Looking back at my Yellowstone trip--I'd recommend it for everyone. Hopefully just looking at the pics from the Tetons & Yellowstone on this site will encourage you to visit.

But time is of the essence--since it sits atop a volcano that is expected to "blow" soon!

Incidently--these Yellowstone pics were taken in 2007 with a new Minolta Dimage Xi--a cool camera that got a good review in the Wall Street Journal.

It was the size of a cigarette pack--and featured an optical and digital zoom (which I used to good effect in one of the buffalo grazing shots on the site).

It came out when digital camera's were becoming all the rage--and it only had 1.3 megapixel coverage.

My current Nikon, Coolpix is 16 megapixel and has a 30x zoom on it (which I'll be taking soon to Jamaica!).

I still have that Minolta and probably will use it again--but I probably won't be taking any more pictures of buffalo!

If you enjoyed this post--please "follow" me and share with your friends.

To get great advertising tips and ideas--CLICK HERE and sign up for our FREE monthly Marketing & Business Update e-Newsletter.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting New Customers--Dean Blay, Mr. Remodeler

  "John...the ad ain't drawin' flies..." Dean...what happened this time last year? "The ad didn't draw flies.." Then what happened the following month? "Well...we did get more sales..." For over twelve years I worked with one of Kansas City's best-loved home remodelers', Mr. Remodeler, Dean Blay. Dean had voiced his own radio ads on our classical station, a music of your life station and several newstalk stations. Sadly--his voice was silenced this past July due to his death. But Dean Blays' memory and radio ads will long be remembered. Dean had a deep...slow delivery and country accent when he read his radio ads. When I first started to work with his advertising--he would give us a cassette tape from his Phone Mate machine with his ad on it. He was too nervous to record in our studio! When he finally did come to our production room, we turned on the reel tape recorder and left the room so our engineer wouldn't mak

Have Marketers Put Too Much Emphasis on The Benefits of Social Media?

Is it me...or I'm I confused as to how a business that predominantly caters to 15-30 year olds can be worth $13 billion? That's one suggested valuation of Twitter heading in to their IPO. What's more--as they begin to add advertising popping up on their Tweets and Tweeters--how can I, as a potential investor know what kind of revenue they can produce to justify their valuation? What's more--what kind of sales can I expect from that age demographic?  Granted, that age demographic probably Tweets more than the rest of us--but can the advertising investment be justified considering their disposable income? If I sell cars to the 18-34 year old crowd--are they really going to Tweet their best friend at the moment the test drive ends and ask if they should buy it or not (according to one posts' theory)? Surely, we all want advice from our friends in the purchase of certain items--but have marketers over-emphasized the benefits of using social media

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting More Customers--Dick Ray, The Master Plumber

"In order to do it right--you'd have to get a backhoe and dig up a ten foot section of the front yard...remove the pipe and replace it with a new section. Or...you could hire a guy like me to do it. And I'm not cheap..."  I'd come to know Dick Ray Jr. through handling his father's advertising account on our classical radio station back in the 80's. Owners of Shawnee Mission Plumbing, Heating & Cooling since the 50's--their quality service and reputation are unmatched by many competitors in the Kansas City market. Today, Dick Ray Jr. continues that quality since his parents passing years ago. What distinguished their advertising--was the familiar voice that intro'd all of their ads...."This is Dick Ray the master plumber..." In a casual midwestern drawl , he'd meticulously talk about his time in the Navy, the quality of products they carry--and the fact that nobody...BUT NOBODY has more parts on his truck, than Di