Skip to main content

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting More Customers--R. Goldman Jewelry


His secret...

"I'm as big a SOB as the next guy--I just say it differently!"






"Look...just call him! The prospect gave me that quizzical look again as she picked up the phone and called Ron."

Ron, was Ronald Goldman--proprietor of R. Goldman Jewelry in Kansas City. Mr. Goldman passed in 2003 after his retirement in 1996.

He and his brother at one time owned Medco Corp.--with over 200 jewelry stores nationwide. His family business dated from the early 1900's. My father used to play baseball in the 1930's at Goldman Stadium.

I handled Mr. Goldman's advertising on the classical station in Kansas City for over a decade--and he was one of my favorite clients.

On this particular day--I was meeting with a new prospect who wanted to hear about "success" stories our station had--and if I could give her any names of clients she could contact. 

This is an advertising reps worst moment as you don't know what the client may tell the prospect--in spite of the fact I was confident.

She called two other clients--and the last one was Mr. Goldman. As she called him...she gave me that look again, the kind of look that I wasn't sure where she stood.

As she talked to him--she kept looking up and glancing at me. When she finished--I asked her what he said.

She told me that all three clients said the same thing--then asked me if I had paid them to say that.

Needless to say, she went ahead and advertised with me and had much success.

The day Richard decided to retire and cease his advertising with me--I mentioned to him that he had recorded over 100 radio ads (voicing them himself, as his voice was very distinctive--as was his look, kind of like Rod Sterling).

He told me that "I'm as big a SOB as the next guy--I just say it differently".

And say it differently he did--from his vocal inflections..."This is Richard Goldman, of R. Goldman Jewelry..." was his standard opening.

One of his most "successful" campaigns was about the "Mystery Diamond". He emphasized that it "looked" like a full karat diamond--but was "priced" like a half-karat. And it was only available at R. Goldman Jewelry.

Brilliant. As was his scheduling. Fifteen ads each week--alternating weeks each month--all year long. He would change out his ads--depending on the time of year (spring, holidays, etc). 

One day--as I was in his store, I watched him talking to a woman looking at jewelry. She would comment--and he would simply agree with her--and reinforce what she liked. He would then wink at me. 

He was smooth--but he also knew what he was talking about and it showed. 

Then one day (that same day)...a man walks in quickly and asks for him. He introduces himself, shakes his hand and says, "how can I help you?"

The man said--"I just heard your radio ad on MY classical station--and I want to do business with you!"

Several things were going on here. First--Mr. Goldman had built his brand over the years. Second--classical listeners are very passionate about their music--and would thank sponsors for supporting their station.

It was this passion that helped us in sales--as it was not believed until experienced by the advertiser. 

The man spent $10,000 on an anniversary ring for his wife!

Afterwards--I asked Richard if that was a good sale (I was in my mid-20's and learning).

He said that was a great sale---for anything!

Morale of the story:

  • Use an advertising medium like radio that your competition most likely doesn't use.
  • Say it differently and with passion.
  • Be consistent in your scheduling.


What I like most about this--it can be enhanced more today than ever by adding digital elements.

If you liked this post--please "follow" and share it with your friends.

If you'd like more advertising and marketing ideas/observations--CLICK HERE and subscribe to our FREE monthly Marketing & Business Update e-newsletter.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting New Customers--Dean Blay, Mr. Remodeler

  "John...the ad ain't drawin' flies..." Dean...what happened this time last year? "The ad didn't draw flies.." Then what happened the following month? "Well...we did get more sales..." For over twelve years I worked with one of Kansas City's best-loved home remodelers', Mr. Remodeler, Dean Blay. Dean had voiced his own radio ads on our classical station, a music of your life station and several newstalk stations. Sadly--his voice was silenced this past July due to his death. But Dean Blays' memory and radio ads will long be remembered. Dean had a deep...slow delivery and country accent when he read his radio ads. When I first started to work with his advertising--he would give us a cassette tape from his Phone Mate machine with his ad on it. He was too nervous to record in our studio! When he finally did come to our production room, we turned on the reel tape recorder and left the room so our engineer wouldn't mak

Have Marketers Put Too Much Emphasis on The Benefits of Social Media?

Is it me...or I'm I confused as to how a business that predominantly caters to 15-30 year olds can be worth $13 billion? That's one suggested valuation of Twitter heading in to their IPO. What's more--as they begin to add advertising popping up on their Tweets and Tweeters--how can I, as a potential investor know what kind of revenue they can produce to justify their valuation? What's more--what kind of sales can I expect from that age demographic?  Granted, that age demographic probably Tweets more than the rest of us--but can the advertising investment be justified considering their disposable income? If I sell cars to the 18-34 year old crowd--are they really going to Tweet their best friend at the moment the test drive ends and ask if they should buy it or not (according to one posts' theory)? Surely, we all want advice from our friends in the purchase of certain items--but have marketers over-emphasized the benefits of using social media

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting More Customers--Dick Ray, The Master Plumber

"In order to do it right--you'd have to get a backhoe and dig up a ten foot section of the front yard...remove the pipe and replace it with a new section. Or...you could hire a guy like me to do it. And I'm not cheap..."  I'd come to know Dick Ray Jr. through handling his father's advertising account on our classical radio station back in the 80's. Owners of Shawnee Mission Plumbing, Heating & Cooling since the 50's--their quality service and reputation are unmatched by many competitors in the Kansas City market. Today, Dick Ray Jr. continues that quality since his parents passing years ago. What distinguished their advertising--was the familiar voice that intro'd all of their ads...."This is Dick Ray the master plumber..." In a casual midwestern drawl , he'd meticulously talk about his time in the Navy, the quality of products they carry--and the fact that nobody...BUT NOBODY has more parts on his truck, than Di