Skip to main content

Apple vs. Competition For The Perfect Small Business Tool--Gadget Guy's Take

 In one word: Seamless
 seam·less
ˈsēmlis/
adjective
1.
(of a fabric or surface) smooth and without seams or obvious joins.
"seamless stockings"



Let me preface this post by admitting upfront a couple of things:

  1. I'm not a geek in the true sense of the word.
  2. I came from a rock n roll background (more on this in another post)--and worked with classical,  smooth jazz and newstalk radio stations for thirty-two years.
  3. I was the audio-visual guy in junior high--delivering projectors, tape recorders to classrooms, etc--so I've always had an interest in "gadgets". My first one was an Archer walkie-talkie and my second was a Science Fair crystal radio set. I then had a Science Fair weather station.
I'm not employed by or paid by Apple, Samsung, Google, etc or any tech company, blog or magazine. 

I'm just offering a semi-tech guy's opinion of how Apple & Samsung stand up to each other after having owned Dell laptops, Samsung Galaxy s 3, the new iPhone 5s and now macbook air laptop.

Having watched Apple's keynote speech online for the launch of OSX-Mavericks operating system, iPhone 5c and s and iPad Retina and mini--here are my thoughts:

I had the original iPhone 4 that i was blown away with. I'd recorded several photo's and videos on it--then produced them on iMovie--including my trip to Red Rocks to see Sarah McLachlan, http://vimeo.com/29124151

I was impressed with the ease of photo editing, video capabilities and editing in iMovie.

I then sold it and got the new Galaxy s 3 and really loved it. 

I recently sold it and bought the new iPhone 5s as well as a macbook air laptop. 

Three things that have stood out since I bought them:

  • The Apple products are "seamless". (I'm surprised nobody at Apple used this word in their keynote. They focused on the end-user "experience")
  • Not revolutionary--but the Apple products are "cool". Easy to hold, use and now work together for the end experience using iCloud to sync all content on all Apple devices effortlessly.
  • The Apple products are "creative"--I don't have to talk much about this--but from Garageband studio, iMovie, Keynote, Pages, Numbers, IPhoto, etc.--no other "seamless" options are really out there for Android/PC's.














For example--the above email promotion just came today. I'm going on a Jamaican getaway in January. Apple now allows you to put together your own photo albums, books and then send it to them--for like $25 will send you a hardcover coffee table book, etc.

That is very creative and useful as well as a great keepsake. I create the pics on the iPhone 5s camera, put it together in iPhoto or iAuthor on the iPhone, iPad or Macbook Air--then get a finished product.

So--how does this stack up for small business usage?


Utilizing the various products for inventories, sales, marketing, advertising, basic web functions, all integrated in the Cloud on various devices instantaneously. All in one place that can be multi-functional as well. Check out the video on the Apple website under iPad to see how their customers are using them, http://www.apple.com/ipad/life-on-ipad/. Very impressive.

For example--when i was in radio sales--I would create presentations in Powerpoint, then take them to a client on a laptop. Wasn't bad--but wasn't great.

Then I got an iPad. Now, I create presentations in Keynote--adding pics from my prospects website and a demo radio ad all put together in iMovie--then inserted into the Keynote presentation. It created a customized look to my prospects presentation that was very amazing.

Not to say I couldn't have done it in Powerpoint--but try producing a video quickly and inserting it in Powerpoint.

It was professional, easy to transport, play and impress.

Oh...and one more thing...

Did I mention fluid? No pop ups, no crashes, no malware, adware, junk to slow you down.

I just ran spybot and anti-virus on my VAIO laptop after it had been having pop ups take it over. Spybot found 30 detections of adware/malware. What price is factored-in for frustration?

Zero issues like that on these Apple platforms.

So--in my opinion--are they worth the extra price tag compared to the competition?

I guess it all depends on the end user experience.  I've downloaded a number of apps for my Galaxy s 3 to mimic iMovie. But nothing comes close.

I'm not an Apple fanboy or crazed buyer--just practical about utilizing productivity and function.

Apple shines in each capacity and delivers. I began to think--what does "cost" matter if you are constantly getting pop ups, webpages highjacked, etc?

And now--with a new AirPrint printer for $60 from Canon via Walmart--I'll be able to print from any Apple device wirelessly.

Apple has also released the complete Apple iLife and iWorks suites for free, http://www.apple.com/creativity-apps/ios/--what can't your business do?

So that new or upgraded iPad can now pretty much replace that laptop, allow you to record your next album on it and produce your family reunion video for Vimeo.

To me--for $3k or less--my consulting business is as professional as well, Apple.

Money well spent in my book for business.

Now--if I can only make their profits!

Check out Apples' keynote address on their website www.apple.com and see if I'm right or wrong.

If you liked this post--please follow me and share with your friends. If you'd like advertising ideas or information/tips--CLICK HERE to get our free monthly Marketing & Business Update e-newsletter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting New Customers--Dean Blay, Mr. Remodeler

  "John...the ad ain't drawin' flies..." Dean...what happened this time last year? "The ad didn't draw flies.." Then what happened the following month? "Well...we did get more sales..." For over twelve years I worked with one of Kansas City's best-loved home remodelers', Mr. Remodeler, Dean Blay. Dean had voiced his own radio ads on our classical station, a music of your life station and several newstalk stations. Sadly--his voice was silenced this past July due to his death. But Dean Blays' memory and radio ads will long be remembered. Dean had a deep...slow delivery and country accent when he read his radio ads. When I first started to work with his advertising--he would give us a cassette tape from his Phone Mate machine with his ad on it. He was too nervous to record in our studio! When he finally did come to our production room, we turned on the reel tape recorder and left the room so our engineer wouldn't mak

Have Marketers Put Too Much Emphasis on The Benefits of Social Media?

Is it me...or I'm I confused as to how a business that predominantly caters to 15-30 year olds can be worth $13 billion? That's one suggested valuation of Twitter heading in to their IPO. What's more--as they begin to add advertising popping up on their Tweets and Tweeters--how can I, as a potential investor know what kind of revenue they can produce to justify their valuation? What's more--what kind of sales can I expect from that age demographic?  Granted, that age demographic probably Tweets more than the rest of us--but can the advertising investment be justified considering their disposable income? If I sell cars to the 18-34 year old crowd--are they really going to Tweet their best friend at the moment the test drive ends and ask if they should buy it or not (according to one posts' theory)? Surely, we all want advice from our friends in the purchase of certain items--but have marketers over-emphasized the benefits of using social media

Million-Dollar $ecrets To Getting More Customers--Dick Ray, The Master Plumber

"In order to do it right--you'd have to get a backhoe and dig up a ten foot section of the front yard...remove the pipe and replace it with a new section. Or...you could hire a guy like me to do it. And I'm not cheap..."  I'd come to know Dick Ray Jr. through handling his father's advertising account on our classical radio station back in the 80's. Owners of Shawnee Mission Plumbing, Heating & Cooling since the 50's--their quality service and reputation are unmatched by many competitors in the Kansas City market. Today, Dick Ray Jr. continues that quality since his parents passing years ago. What distinguished their advertising--was the familiar voice that intro'd all of their ads...."This is Dick Ray the master plumber..." In a casual midwestern drawl , he'd meticulously talk about his time in the Navy, the quality of products they carry--and the fact that nobody...BUT NOBODY has more parts on his truck, than Di